Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Choo-choo Train


I'm getting ready for another trip...not for work this time. Going home to see the folks..yes, me Mum & Dad. It will also be the beginning of Ramadhan this weekend, so i suppose it will cheer them up a bit to have an extra "body" around to make fuss over sahur and berbuka.

I was still in two minds whether to take the night bus from Puduraya/ Jalan Duta as i will leave the car at the office parking this time. I'll be flying back from hometown on Monday morning so it would be convenient to get the Skybus from LCCT to KL Sentral, and catch a cab to the office. Usually i'll catch a bus on Sunday nite but i want to buka puasa with my parents, which is worth the extra bucks for the flight i guess.

The idea of sleeping on a bus (again!) is so uninviting. So this time i'm getting a bunk on the train....the "Superior Night" sleeper as they call it. For RM40+ you get a bunk bed with a pillow and blanket. Sounds good ya. They have their version of "business"(sold out!!) and "first class" bunks but maybe next time i'll give that a try. It's been a while since i took the train, and i was pleasantly surprised when i visited the website (not expecting to find much info)...they have online ticketing. They even show you pictures of the various seats and sleepers coaches with the price range for you to choose. You can even choose your exact bunk..which I have - the upper bunk, no. 17, with neighbouring bunks unoccupied (for now). Cool eh! I didn't expect much from KTMB, and i was pleasantly surprised. (http://ktmb.com.my/) Of course the journey takes 3-4 hours longer than an express bus, but i'm in no hurry.

I've got my ticket printed out, courtesy of the efficient ktmb-web & the office color printer;-), and i'm ready for a long weekend back home. Now, i only have to get my leave approved for Friday.

10 comments:

Jill Yusoff said...

me love train rides though i prefer the lower bunk. need a lift to the station?

anne said...

really:-) i like the upper bunk, more private. Should i bring something to read? Thanks for the offer, i'll let you know if i need a lift!.

Halley said...

Waaa... baiknya Jill... I pun nak balik Malaysia bukak puasa...kat sini xde pasar ramadhan waaa waaa waaa waaa

bertique said...

i tak penah naik train. heheh

dulu naik bas jek, skang rezeki lebih sket .. every month drive balik. tapi penat giler hehe .. usually i balik on monday morning itself, circa 5-6 .. trus pakai baju keje .. trus g keje :P

selamat berpuasa, berbuka puasa bersama family.

Vernon Kedit said...

I took the train from KL to Singapore once simply for the experience. The Senandung Malam I think it's called. After 3 hours, I wished I was back at home in my warm, cosy bed.

You REALLY want to do this?

anne said...

halley: Ya, Jill is sweet isnt she;-) Jom balik..tula...who ask you to migrate jauh-jauh..hehe

anne said...

bert: I used to drive too...it only takes about 4-5 hours driving...and so convenient. But for a short weekend trip, cheaper to fly i think kalau kira petrol + toll. Anyway, my car no longer worthy for long distance driving.

MR M...that bad? I figured if i can fall asleep, i'll be ok. I always have trouble sleeping on the bus. Too late to reconsider, i'll let you know how it goes.

anne said...

J, janganlah sedih! I'm sure you will develop your own little buka puasa routine with your M'sian frens (ramai kan...). Bestnye buka puasa 5.45...sama dgn orang Samarahan, Sarikei heheheh

Anonymous said...

personally i would go for the bus but since tickets are done, you might as well get comfortable ;-) Have a safe trip k!

anne said...

Lx: Thanks, looks like no votes for the train except for Jill. Now, i'm scared;-O