Thursday, February 09, 2006

Yee Sang Lunch FEAR FACTOR Style




I was on medical leave yesterday for gastric pains. My GP said there's too much acid in my system. My stomach has been feeling quesy since the department lunch last Wednesday. This is my second Yee Sang lunch since i joined this firm. It's like a tradition for them to have a Yee Sang lunch hosted by the Division's Director.......for luck i assume. Before the last 2 years, I was not exposed to a predominantly chinese environment......so some of these stuff are pretty new to me. But as usual i try to fit in and enjoy the experience.


Firstly i am never a big fan of chinese set meals........annual dinners or lunch or whatever versions. The long wait, the little portions, eating one thing at a time....i just dont have the patience. I was prepared for a not very enjoyable meal, but OMG, I was not prepared for a prequel to Fear Factor.

The ceremony began with a Yee Sang toss.........the higher the better!!!It was quite edible although i'm not crazy about the raw salmon.




Lunch started with some kind of soup called Monk Jump Over the Wall (seriously!). Its supposed to be some special delicacy. Inside the soup there are a cocktail of strange things like sharks fin, some kind of fish insang which look like tauhu, some seaweed looking things, and some part of a black chicken feet...with the skin in tact it look like a charred body part with goosebumps....disgusting. The whole bowl smell funny.


I slurped a spoonful and chew on some unknown stuff, and decided the monk can jump all he wants, but i'm gonna pass.

Next came roasted ducks sitting on a huge plate. Then the waitress put her hands in plastic gloves and start ripping the duck meat of the bones. There was nothing artistic about this culinary process, it was already putting me off. Then the "ripped-by-bare-hands" meat is rolled up in popia skin, served with cucmber and some unknown sauce. If I remember correctly, this is my first experience eating duck meat. It's tough. I had a small bite not to offend the rest of the table who seemed to enjoy it.

Then came something edible, finally - fried cod fillet with cream sauce. (I know....not chinese at all). I gobbled it down in a jiffy...thinking things can only get better from here.



Then came the chilli prawns......huge but not that fresh, ok lah.




Next came some vegetable dish that didnt look like veg at all. I recognise some mushroom , and a somekind of roll - the inside was oozing out with this whitise sauce with black and white polka dots. Ok, pass.

Then came fried "kiuh bakul", and ice cream with pomelo (durian belanda) i think.

I was so glad it was over.....note to self....i'm so not fear factor material!!!

5 comments:

Jill Yusoff said...

I think I am quite adventurous, food-wise but the black chicken feet did it for me. Eeeeks

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne, lyn u nyer blog jap, hehehe, kesian u, betulla cam fear factor, eeeeyarks, mti ko x sbar2 nk blk kan

Bergen said...

I don't dare to venture outside my usual fare of briyani kambing, fish curry, steak and lamb and more lamb.

anne said...

dory - yup, nasty!!

ascii -memang tak sesabar nak balik. lepas tu sehari dua tak lalu makan.

bergen - thanks for dropping by!Your menu sounds comforting!! :-)

anne said...

J: you aint missing much!!